Saturday 19 December 2009

A reason to light a Monte Cristo

I moved back to my home town a couple of years ago. I managed to find a nice house that to the rear has what was once farmland, there are a couple of old timber barns and the land is host to fox, squirrels, bats, owls amongst other wildlife. It really is a joy. My house is elevated from the land by around 3 metres and from my conservatory I have a great view. You can imagine then my disappointment when little over a month ago I received a letter from the planning department notifying me of a planning application to build 14 houses on the land. 


I wrote a letter outlining my concerns of privacy, the effect on wildlife etc and I also contacted the Bat conservation society. I was totally unaware how much power this organisation has. It can prevent anyone from disturbing roosting bats it would seem. Anyway to cut a long story short, I received a notification yesterday that the planning application had been formally withdrawn. Yippee!


This was a cause for celebration and so last night with some friends around I selected a Monte Cristo* from the humidor. I love it when a plan comes together!


*for those that don't know, a Monte Cristo is a premium cigar, much too expensive to smoke on regular occasions unless your name happens to be John Travolta!

2 comments:

  1. I actually knew what a Monte cristo was!:) I was married to someone once who smoked them!! BUT I won't hold that against you! hee hee! LOVE that you saved the bats! OH and you view!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie - Yeah it was a small triumph of conservation over urban sprawl. 10 out of 10 for knowing your "cigars of the world" :)

    ReplyDelete